Here's a review of a new device I picked up the other day from Amazon.ca. It is a Bluetooth enabled audio receiver that connects to your computer's bluetooth source that has to be installed and paired. This item can be purchased from Amazon for just under $25. I received free shipping with Amazon Prime when I made the purchase. You can stream off a desktop computer with a bluetooth dongle, or if your computer is newer may already have built in bluetooth capabilities. Simply connect to your chosen speaker systems or audio receiver and pair the device, and you will be able to hear audio transmitted from your computer to your stereo system or auxiliary port on a receiver.
In this review I examine and explain how to use this product:
In this blog will I explain what components are included to install, and how you can setup this bluetooth device to stream music from a desktop computer to a set of Bookshelf Speakers. I include how to setup all the cables and then explain how you can setup devices by pairing them together.
This procedure of Bluetooth Pairing is easy to understand and explained in the next section.
When you pair a bluetooth enabled device with another bluetooth enabled device, you are creating a communications channel between the two. Most bluetooth devices can only communicate with one other device at a time, but this Mpow box has the ability to pair and stream from two devices at the same time.
Google explains how to pair a head set with a phone properly:
To pair a headset with a phone, the phone is configured to "Discoverable" mode and the headset is set up to pair by pressing one or more keys for some number of seconds.1
A connection is established a couple seconds after making a connection and you can share audio signals between devices.
But first, you need to know how to setup and connect the included cables. This device arrived with three different cables and two user guides. There is a RCA Audio 3.5 inch cable that can be used to connect from your Bookshelf speakers and the input. Here is a picture that shows what cables are included when you purchase this item:
Contents of the MPOW Bluetooth Wireless Receiver
Here are the cables you receive:
- A 3.5mm Audio Cable with RCA Audio (Right and Left) audio jacks for connection between your Bluetooth receiver and audio output source.
- A mini usb to USB charging cable for powering the device.
- 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable (use this cable if your audio source does not have RCA plugs).
- User guide (French and English).
On this device there are two ports as indicated in the picture below:
Mpow Bluetooth Receiver, Wireless Audio Adapter - Available Ports
The first port (3.5mm audio jack) is used to connect a 3.5mm Audio cable from your the Bluetooth Receiver directly into an audio source such as a set of bookshelf or desktop stereo speakers.
The second mini USB port can plug into a charger or another USB port for charging of the device.
How To Setup Your MPOW Wireless Bluetooth Receiver With Your Desktop Computer Running Windows 10
In Windows 8.1, there is a Bluetooth function that you can control to configure your new device. It's relatively straight-forward to use. Simply setup your MPOW Wireless Receiver by pressing an holding the main function button on top of the unit to enter pairing mode. You can then configure the computer to receive the Bluetooth signal by matching or pairing the device with the system. Here's how:
- Access the Bluetooth icon on the Windows notification area.
How To Access And Configure Bluetooth Options in Windows 10 To Configure The MPOW Wireless Bluetooth Audio Receiver - Step #1
- Right click on Bluetooth icon and from the drop-down menu select "Show Bluetooth Devices."How To Access And Configure Bluetooth Options in Windows 10 To Configure The MPOW WIreless Bluetooth Audio Receiver - Step #2
- Find the device BT4807 after it has been identified and left click once.How To Pair and Configure The MPOW WIreless Bluetooth Audio Receiver - Step #3
- To start the pairing procedure, left click the Pair button and Windows will attempt to initialize and make a connection to the Bluetooth Audio Receiver.Pairing and Activation The MPOW Bluetooth Audio Receiver - Step #4
Windows will connect to the Windows Update website and attempt to download a device driver to fully enable the device in Windows.
- Once finished the new device will appear in the list of available Bluetooth components.Windows Finishes Pairing With The Bluetooth Audio Receiver - Step #5