In Windows, the term opening windows refers to launching a program or application. You can open programs via a shortcut or through the Start menu. There are several different ways you can open Windows. This page will describe how to complete that task.
How To Open A Window Using A Shortcut
To open a window using an existing shortcut follow the steps outlined below:
For this tutorial you will learn how to launch Windows Explorer by double clicking a shortcut located on the desktop.
(1) Find the Windows Explorer shortcut located on your desktop. If you do not have a Windows Explorer icon substitute it with any icon of your choice.
(2) To launch the icon simply double left click with your mouse. This will cause the main program to load as a full screen window.
How To Open A Window Using The Windows Taskbar
Opening a window to an application that is already running on a computer is also referred to as maximizing the window. Follow these steps to open an already running Window.
(1) Find the program you want to open from the Windows task bar. For the purpose of this tutorial we will open the Windows Explorer program.
(2) Once you’ve located the program, right mouse click anywhere on the program from within the task bar.
(3) From the menu that appears, left mouse click the Maximize option.
(4) This will cause the Windows Explorer program to open full sized showing the My Documents folder.
How To Open Windows Using The Windows Start Menu
To open a program on the Windows Start menu follow these instructions:
(1) Find the program you want to open on the Windows Start Menu.
(2) Left click once to open the program.
How to Open Programs Using the Windows Run Command
Windows includes a run command on the Start menu which provides a quicker way of accessing a program or shortcut if you know the program’s executable name. An executable file is a type of file with the extension .exe. For example many accessories in Windows have common executable names such as Notepad.exe, wordpad.exe, and calc.exe (short for calculator).
Here’s how to launch a program executable through the Run command.
(1) Left click the Start button (Windows XP) or Start Orb (Windows Vista/7/8.1/10).
(2) Left click the Run command.
(3) In the Open box enter the program executable name.
(4) Left click Ok or press Enter to continue launching the program.
Congratulations! You now know how to launch a program through double clicking a shortcut, through an existing open program, and through the Windows Run command. It is easy to run programs and launch applications once you know the proper steps.